A convicted killer who absconded from jail while on a work licence has been sentenced to ONE extra day inside.
Shakiel Shazad, 33, was one of those jailed over the deaths of eight members of the same family in a blaze horror in Birkby.
He was serving 18 years for manslaughter.
Shazad, of Gledholt, had been allowed out of the category D open prison, HMP Sudbury in Derbyshire, on a work licence but failed to return.
He left the prison on Wednesday afternoon but police in a neighbouring force area, Staffordshire, picked him up on a road near Litchfield.
He was said to be “dazed and confused” and it was the following day before his identity was confirmed by fingerprints.
Shazad, who is seeking parole much to the anger of his victims’ family, yesterday appeared before Burton magistrates.
He admitted absconding from jail but magistrates granted him a conditional discharge for 12 months and added an extra day in custody.
As a result of his conviction he will lose his ‘category D status’ meaning he will be housed in a ‘closed’ section of the prison.
The court heard that Shazad had failed to attend work at the officers’ mess that morning and had walked off prison grounds after finding the mess closed.
He was found by police officers who took him to St George’s Mental Health Hospital in Stafford after he said he had not been feeling well.
He was arrested after his identity was established.
The arson attack on the terraced home of the Chisti family in Osborne Road, Birkby, in May 2002 is one of Huddersfield’s most notorious crimes.
Those killed in the fire included Nafeesa Aziz, 35, who perished with her five young daughters: Tayyaba Batool, 13; Rabiah Batool, 10; Ateeqa Nawaz, six; Aneesa Nawaz, two, and Najeeba Nawaz, six months.
Nafeesa’s brother, Mohammed Ateeq-ur-Rehman, 18, also died in the flames. Their mother, Zaib-u-Nisa, 54, died later in hospital after leaping from a window.
Shaied Iqbal was later convicted of eight murders while Shazad and Nazar Hussain were convicted of manslaughter.
Hussain was given parole last October. Shazad applied in January but his application has been delayed.
A major hunt is underway for another man, Shahid Mohammed, who fled after being released on bail in 2002.