Myers Group marks 50 years from foundation of Readymix Huddersfield Ltd
Aug 12 2009 by Henryk Zientek, Huddersfield Daily Examiner
MYERS Group could reasonably lay claim to the title of the company that helped build Huddersfield.
The group, based at offices at Barr Street, off Leeds Road at Bradley Mills, had its origins with the launch of concrete firm Readymix Huddersfield Ltd in 1959.
Now it is marking half a century of construction-related activity in the town.
Readymix Huddersfield was set up by Jack Myers, who took the decision to expand the family building firm of Isaac Timmins Ltd – itself dating from 1923 – into the manufacture and supply of construction materials.
He recognised the need for a specialised supplier of ready-mixed concrete.
Readymix Huddersfield, based at Red Doles Lane, now supplies concrete from locations in Huddersfield, Brighouse, Penistone and Skipton.
In 1969, Mobile Concrete Pumps was formed as one of the first concrete pumping firms in northern England. Other businesses quickly followed.
Naylor-Myers Building Supplies was set up in 1973 at the Readymix Huddersfield site. Now with 10 branches – including Huddersfield, Denby Dale, Brighouse, Batley and Penistone, it is the biggest trading element in the Myers Group.