George and Pat Thompson have just celebrated 60 happy years of marriage.
The couple met at Huddersfield Technical College and Mr Thompson used to walk his wife-to-be home to Almondbury after college – even though he lived in the opposite direction in Milnsbridge.
Mr Thompson, 79, was doing a painter and decorator course and Mrs Thompson, nee Oliver, also 79, was doing a window dressing course.
They wed at Almondbury Methodist Church on September 19 1953 and had a reception in what is the former Co-op building on Huddersfield’s ring road.
They settled at Mrs Thompson’s family home in Almondbury and she remained there while her husband completed his National Service.
As an apprentice, Mr Thompson was able to delay his National Service from aged 18 to 21.
At 21 he went to Catterick with the Royal Signals before being transferred to Warrington and then Maidstone with the Royal Engineers where he was put on stand-by for action at Suez. He was stood down and later transferred to Edinburgh where he was demobbed.
Upon returning the couple settled in Dalton.
Mr Thompson took up a job in Estates and Properties with the Huddersfield Corporation and later Austin Halls of Leeds Road, which took him all over the world Ministry of Defence contracts.
He retired after 15 years in maintenance at Huddersfield Royal Infirmary.
His wife worked at Kays Drapers on King Street before having four children, Steven, Susan, Michael and Emma.
She also worked as a dressmaker, making bridal gowns as well as stage costumes for her pupils of the dance school her goddaughter Victoria Wade ran.
Mrs Thompson said: “It’s lovely to celebrate a diamond wedding, actually it doesn’t seem so long.
The couple, who enjoy reading and gardening, celebrated with a party at Kirkheaton Cricket Club.
They received a card from the Queen to acknowledge the milestone.