THE terrible death of toddler Aaron Booth is an awful tragedy but the judge was right to show his mother some sympathy.
Lauren Booth would perhaps have gone to Bradford Crown Court yesterday expecting a prison sentence but instead was shown mercy by the judge.
Aaron had drunk from a bottle of toxic plant food while Booth and her boyfriend were asleep. The liquid was caustic and caused him dreadful internal injuries which led to what was described in court as a “prolonged and frankly horrible death.’’
Booth will no doubt relive that horror for the rest of her life.
But she was not wilful. She had made a serious mistake by leaving the plant food where her young son could reach it but what good would it have done anyone by sending her to jail?
She is not a danger and is now doing parenting classes to perhaps become a full-time mum again to her daughter who is currently in foster care.
No doubt in many houses across Huddersfield there are potentially deadly substances within easy reach of toddlers’ inquisitive eyes and hands.
Now is the time to walk round and do a safety check and perhaps you’ll be shocked at what dangers can lurk within reach.