A historic Denby Dale pie dish, used for the 1988 bi-centenary, could be revamped.
The 26 year old square dish, used to make a giant pie for revellers marking the 200th anniversary of the first Denby Dale Pie in 1788, is installed outside Gilthwaites First School as a flower bed.
Denby Dalers launched the giant pie making tradition to celebrate the recovery of King George III from a bout of ‘madness’.
School chiefs are now proposing to move the pie dish, used as a Butterfly Garden, to accommodate the merger with the village’s nursery school.
Plans to install a new building and create a new play area were lodged with Kirklees Council earlier this month.
Denby Dale Parish Council has now been approached to take responsibility for the old dish by the Denby Dale Nursery School & Gilthwaites First School Federation.
In a letter to the council, Cath Heptinstall, Senior Business Support Officer for the federation, said: “The dish has fallen into a bad state of repair. The lip around the dish is very rusty and has rusted away in some places, which is not ideal in a young children’s environment.
“It would be a great shame to lose a piece of village history and we would like to ask the Parish Council to take on the responsibility for re-homing/maintaining the pie dish as the school are not able to accommodate it in the expansion plans.
“We haven’t obtained any quotes for its repair, as all our available funds are being used up in merging the Nursery with School.”
Denby Dale Parish Council is investigating options for funding the repair and a new location.
The issue will be discussed by councillors at tonight’s meeting at Skelmanthorpe Council Chambers from 7pm.
Eight pie celebrations have been held since 1788:
In 1815 to celebrate the end of the war with France and the defeat of Napolean
In 1846 to celebrate the end of Corn Laws.
In 1887 to celebrate the Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
In 1896 two pies were made to mark the 50th anniversary of the Repeal of the Corn Laws. The first went bad and was buried in a pit in the woods.
In 1928 as a belated victory pie and to raise money for the Huddersfield Royal Infirmary.
In 1964 to celebrate four Royal births and help finance a new village hall, now known as The Pie Hall.
In 1988 a pie celebrated the bi-centenary of the first, while the last pie formed part of the Millenium celebrations in 2000.