Mechanic flees garage inferno
Jun 24 2008 by Andrew Hirst, Huddersfield Daily Examiner
A MECHANIC was lucky to escape unhurt after fuel caught fire in a garage.
An electric light switch being turned off is thought to have sparked the drama at Blackrock Mills in Linthwaite.
Two mechanics were shutting up at 7.15pm on Friday.
One flicked the light switch and fuel on the garage floor immediately erupted in flames.
Watch Manager Graham Holroyd, from Slaithwaite fire station, said: “The mechanic was lucky to get away unhurt and was amazed how quickly the fire spread.
“His first thought was to try to tackle the fire, but it erupted so quickly he realised he had to get out immediately.’’
An old Mercedes car used for scrap was engulfed by the flames.
Firefighters then quickly tackled the blaze and brought it under control.
The garage was smoke-logged and a giant fan was needed to blow the smoke out.