Gas fears spark evacuation of Greenhead Road - video footage
Apr 29 2009 Huddersfield Daily Examiner
RESIDENTS were forced to flee a Huddersfield street after vandals smashed a gas cylinder.
Firefighters spent nearly three hours at Greenhead Road yesterday afternoon making the area safe.
Two men were seen hitting a gas cylinder with an implement just after 3pm.
Jennifer Stringer, who works at the National Business College on Greenhead Road, raised the alarm.
She said: “I went to make a cup of tea about 3.45pm and all I could smell was gas. I called the gas board and they got here about 4.10pm.
“They did some readings and then told us we would have to evacuate. Luckily we only had seven staff on at the time.”
Christine Hoyland also works at the National Business College. She was in Trinity Street at 6pm yesterday.
Mrs Hoyland said: “We can’t go home because we’re the keyholders and we need to lock up. We’re waiting for the gas readings to go down so we can lock up and go home.”