Landlord Ervin Clarke ignored gas fire warnings
A LANDLORD put his two-year-old nephew at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, a court was told.
The toddler and his mum were renting a house from uncle Ervin McKenzie Clarke, of Harewood Mount, Meltham.
The two-bedroom Golcar house they were renting had a fire in the living room which an inspector from Kirklees Council believed was leaking the deadly gas.
Mohammed Tariq, from the council’s private sector housing unit, told tenant Jacqueline Clarke under no circumstances should she use the fire.
He initially went to the three-storey house on June 19, 2008, to investigate a water pipe burst, but noticed black soot on the fire and became concerned.
He wrote to Clarke telling him to get the fire serviced at the Handel Street house.
But lorry driver Clarke did nothing.
Yesterday at Huddersfield Magistrates’ Court Clarke pleaded guilty to contravening health and safety regulations and contravening an information notice.
Kirsty Townend, prosecuting, said: "Mr Clarke, through his lack of action put a vulnerable person at significant risk because there was a two-year-old living at this property."
Mr Tariq wrote to Clarke telling him the fire must be serviced by a CORGI registered tradesman.
He also reminded Clarke it was his obligation as a landlord to see the property’s heating was safe.