Homeless man rescued from blazing shed at Holmfirth
Feb 8 2010 Huddersfield Daily Examiner
A HOMELESS man suffered minor burns after a fire started in a shed in which he was living.
The unnamed man was rescued by Jason Mather, 35, who spotted the shed on fire as he looked out of his girlfriend’s kitchen window in Upperthong.
He ran to the shed and saw a man inside and had to run at the door twice to force it open.
Mr Mather then pulled the homeless man out of the shed, only to discover part of his coat alight.
He was taken to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary for treatment for burns sustained during the fire, which happened in the garden of a property off Upperthong Lane.
Jason’s dad Clive Mather said: “It was at about 7.30am and he saw this fire from his girlfriend’s kitchen window.
“It was a large shed and a man had been living in it.
“Jason ran over towards the garden and he found the shed was well ablaze and the guy was screaming for help.
“Jason couldn’t open the door and he had to run at it twice before he could get it open.