No prosecution after Andrew Jones Pie factory blast death
NO prosecution will be made against Andrew Jones Pies after a father-of-two died in an explosion at their factory.
The Crown Prosecution Service was looking into whether there should be a prosecution for gross negligence manslaughter for the death of factory supervisor David Cole (pictured) on April 10 last year.
A spokesman said: “The CPS has decided there is insufficient evidence to prosecute any individual or company for gross negligence manslaughter in relation to the death of David Cole on 10 April, 2009.
“We have written to Mr Cole’s family to explain our decision.”
A huge oven was at the centre of investigations at the bakehouse on Old Leeds Road.
Company bosses at the time suggested there was a fault with the gas pipe leading to the oven.
A spokesman for the Health and Safety Executive said yesterday investigations into the cause of the blast were still ongoing, and a decision on their findings would be made following the inquest into Mr Cole’s death.
His colleague Marcus Cartwright, from Crosland Moor, was badly hurt in the blast.
The father-of-one suffered broken ribs, a burst eardrum, bruising to his spine and minor burns.
Before the explosion two ovens stood side-by-side in the factory and each were loaded with 1,400 pork pies every hour throughout the day.