Midwife Annie Vaseer’s fire death was accidental
Jun 3 2010 Huddersfield Daily Examiner
Philip Callaghan said: “She said: ‘Someone’s set fire to my house’, She said that she had received threatening letters and had been to the police about it a week previously.”
Mr Whittaker adjourned the inquest to give police time to investigate the fresh evidence.
But police told the hearing at Huddersfield Coroners’ Court there was nothing suggesting anyone had wanted to harm Mrs Vaseer.
Det Insp Andy Garnett, from Kirklees CID, said: “I’ve examined the diary and writings of Mrs Vaseer. I found nothing in these documents which led me to believe that there were suspicious circumstances or Mrs Vaseer was a victim of harassment.
“There’s nothing to suggest Mrs Vaseer contacted the police in response to harassment or disorder around where she lived.”
Mr Whittaker said he was satisfied that Mrs Vaseer’s death was accidental.
He said: “I’m satisfied that there are no suspicious circumstances nor third party involvement.
“In my view this was an accidental ignition caused by a carelessly discarded cigarette by a person who had consumed quite a large amount of alcohol.
“This was a tragic accident and I’m sure it will take (the family) a long time to get over what’s happened.”
Speaking to the Examiner members of Mrs Vaseer’s family paid tribute to her community spirit as well as the team of ‘heroes’ who battled to save her.
Her sister Margaret Hawkins said: “She was a well-respected member of her community and used to teach English to some of the children of the families who lived there.
“She was very family orientated and a very dedicated midwife.
“We would like to thank the people who came to her help during the fire, they were heroes and did their best to help her and preserve her dignity in this very tragic incident.”