THURS AM: Honley’s Gaza activist is heading home but angry at Israeli treatment
Jun 3 2010 by Anne-Marie Senior, Huddersfield Examiner
A HONLEY activist who was seized by Israeli troops when they stormed a Gaza aid ship is heading home this Sunday.
Paveen Yaqub, 39, contacted her family this morning to say she was safe and well in Turkey, after being released by the Israeli government without any charges overnight.
But she spoke of her anger at the way the group had been treated when troops raided the aid convoy, killing nine civilians and taking 679 people prisoner – 37 of whom were British.
Her younger sister Nosheen, of Oldham, told the Examiner: “She is shocked, angry, upset and grieving for those who were killed and there are many still missing.
“She said they were split up when they were taken and some of them were beaten. Luckily she wasn’t.
“She told my brother she had to go on hunger strike to be allowed to make the first phonecall home to say she was safe. Until we heard that, we were worried sick.
“We are all really looking forward to seeing her and will be having a big party to welcome her home.”
Paveen told her family she was staying in Turkey until Sunday to attend the funerals of those killed.