Christmas and your life over in just 60 seconds: Fire Service warning video of what happens when a fairy light beings to burn...
Dec 21 2010 By Andrew Jackson
FIRE officers in West Yorkshire are warning people to take extra care over Christmas.
Statistics from 2009 show that of the 1,236 domestic fires in the county, December was one of the busiest months for fire fighters with a total of 115.
The one-minute video above counts the seconds as a house fire sparked by faulty fairy lights takes hold, reminding people just how little time they have to escape should a fire break out.
Many people are unaware of the potential fire hazards and toxic threats that can lurk in fairy lights, candles and flammable Christmas decorations.
As a result fire services across the country are urging people to take extra care as they get into the festive spirit this Christmas - dry Christmas trees, decorations and wrapped presents can all provide means for a fire to spread in the home.
The Government's chief fire and rescue adviser Sir Ken Knight said: "Everyone enjoys the festive cheer that a Christmas tree and decorations can bring to a home. But the sad fact is that all this can act as extra fuel for a potential house fire. Unsafe electrical decorations, overloaded plugs and unattended candles are all potential causes of fire.
"Just two to three breaths of toxic smoke from a fire can render a person unconscious and you have less time to escape than you think. It only takes a minute for festive celebrations to go up in smoke, so I urge everyone to be fire safe this year and have a great Christmas."
Check out the top tips to stay fire safe on Page 2