NURSERY nurses who tried to save a choking youngster were told: ‘You did all you could’.
The staff at Portland House Nursery who tried desperately to save tragic toddler Adam Milner could not have been expected to know exactly what to do, a medical expert has said.
Dr Michael Bell, a Leeds intensive care consultant, was giving expert evidence yesterday at the inquest at Bradford Coroners’ Court into the death of two-year-old Adam.
Adam is thought to have died after choking on a piece of sausage while having his lunch at Portland House Nursery in Lindley on August, 19, 2009.
A postmortem report showed that after choking on a foreign body Adam was starved of oxygen and had a heart attack.
Later at Huddersfield Royal Infirmary doctors managed to restart his heart but by then he was so brain damaged his parents Vicky and Steven made the agonising decision to have his life support machine turned off.
He died four days after the incident.
Dr Bell said that someone would have had to have cleared Adam’s airway and resuscitated him within minutes of him choking in order for him to have made a full recovery.
But the doctor said the nursery nurses would not be expected to know exactly what to do.