Deighton’s Stacey Rodgers takes carbon monoxide campaign to Dewsbury Market on 18th birthday of son Dominic
FOR Stacey Rodgers, April 20 is always a difficult day.
But yesterday had a particular poignancy for the bereaved mum, as it marked the day her son Dominic would have turned 18.
The youngster died from carbon monoxide poisoning at the family home at Spaines Road, Fartown, in February 2004.
Since then Stacey, now 33, has campaigned to raise awareness of what she calls “the silent killer”.
And yesterday, in honour of her son’s birthday, she took her campaign to Dewsbury Market in a bid to get her message across to the people of north Kirklees.
She said: “I felt I had to do something for Dominic rather than sitting at home crying all day.
“I get a buzz being around people and I still keep hearing Dominic’s voice saying, ‘go on mum’.”
Dominic was just 10 when he inhaled lethal fumes from a neighbour’s faulty boiler as he slept.
After his death, Stacey, who now lives in Deighton, set up The Dominic Rodgers Trust to warn people about the dangers of carbon monoxide.