A PENSIONER exposed to asbestos died because of it.
But Eric Rothery, 81, was not aware that he had been exposed to asbestos during his working life.
Mr Rothery, of Elm Tree Close, Liversedge, was a driver and fork-lift truck driver for the former BBA factory, based at Cleckheaton.
An inquest into his death at Bradford Coroner’s Court yesterday heard that he had come into contact with the material.
In a statement read out in court, his wife Jean Rothery said that he had a CT scan in November, 2010, which found asbestos scarring.
She said: “He never knew how he had been exposed to asbestos.”
Mr Rothery had acute airways disease and pneumonia and was being treated at Dewsbury and District Hospital. He had heart failure and heart disease, which were listed as the cause of his death.
Coroner Roger Whittaker said: “I am satisfied that as a driver required to collect from the former BBA factory and working as a fork-lift truck driver that he was exposed to asbestos in the work place.”
He recorded a verdict of death by industrial disease.