Families call for more carbon monoxide warnings in wake of Slathwaite woman’s death
FAMILIES of loved ones who died from carbon monoxide poisoning have called for greater awareness in the aftermath of the death of a Slaithwaite woman.
Hazel Woodhams, 30, died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning caused from a charcoal barbecue on Tuesday.
Her boyfriend Roland Wessling, 30, who shared her terraced home in Slaithwaite, remains in a stable condition in hospital following the tragedy which happened while the pair were camping at Clippesby Holiday Park, near Great Yarmouth.
Ms Woodham’s death comes just a year after David Swallow, 29, died after inhaling carbon monoxide fumes from a barbecue.
His widow Ruth, 31, said: “I would say there is a lack of awareness. The packaging for charcoal should be the same as cigarettes.
“It should carry a logo and or information to say ‘this smoke is poisonous and has a risk of death’.
“It is awful to hear of Hazel’s death, it appears she was just enjoying a camping holiday and sadly goes to show there isn’t enough warnings to prevent such tragedies.
“I know exactly how her family must be feeling, to have a loved one there one minute and gone the next is incredibly difficult to process. I know I was in shock as to how it could happen.
“Hearing of her death has been particularly poignant for me as it is has come at the time of the first anniversary of David’s death.
“I think as much as can be done should be done, even campsites could get involved to make site users more aware of the dangers.”
Stacey Rodgers, of Deighton, has been campaigning for more carbon monoxide awareness since her son Dominic died in February, 2004, when fumes seeped into his bedroom at Spaines Road in Fartown.