A FAMILY fled their home after their dishwasher caught fire.
The parents and their two teenaged children were woken by a smoke detector at the semi-detached house on Close Lea Way in Rastrick.
Crews from Brighouse and Elland fire stations were called to the scene just after midnight yesterday.
Brighouse Fire Station crew commander Tony Rostron said: "They had left their dishwasher on and gone to bed – like everyone does. It caught fire and the blaze spread to the kitchen units.
"The smoke detector went off which alerted the family and they rang us straight away. The smoke detector saved their lives."
The fire crews spent an hour at the house dealing with the blaze. The dishwasher was burnt out in the incident.