A MAN is in hospital following a house fire in Batley.
The man, in his 30s, needed treatment after a blaze at his home at Heritage Road, near to the Batley Bulldogs stadium.
Firefighters say he had managed to escape yesterday’s blaze, but was suffering from smoke inhalation so he was taken to Dewsbury and District Hospital for treatment.
An electrical fault is said to be the reason for the blaze on the ground floor of a three-storey building.
Around a quarter of the ground floor was involved in the fire and the room of its origin was completely destroyed.
A spokesman for the fire service said: “We were called at 10.14am to reports of a building on fire, but it was the man’s house.
“He had managed to escape but had to go to hospital by ambulance.
“The cause of the fire was electrical. It was quite intensive.
“We were there for around four hours making sure it was out and clearing the smoke.”
They managed to prevent the fire spreading, but the property was hit by smoke damage.
Batley firefighters were backed up by crews from Dewsbury and Mirfield.