Mum’s welcome for “Silent Killer” safety film
SHE was a victim of the most appalling tragedy for any parent.
But Deighton mother Stacey Rodgers, who saw her young son Dominic die of carbon monoxide poisoning, vowed to do all she could to ensure no other families suffered.
And yesterday she was a key speaker at the launch of a new safety film aimed at hundreds of thousands of young people across the UK.
The new safety awareness film has been produced by students at the Rawthorpe-based Netherhall Studio School and warns young people of the dangers of carbon monoxide – dubbed The Silent Killer.
Now the film will be made available to high schools and colleges across the country to try and educate young people about a danger which claims 50 lives a year.
It is more than eight years since Stacey launched her mission to campaign for better safety.
Dominic was 10 when he died from carbon monoxide poisoning at the family home at Spaines Road, Fartown, in February 2004.
Fumes from a neighbour’s faulty boiler had seeped into his bedroom as he slept.
“He would have been 19 this year and that’s the time he would have perhaps going away to university, going on holiday with his mates or camping out at a pop festival.
“Young people tell me they are not aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide – and the dangers that are prevalent in some rented accommodation, in caravans and tents when barbecues are used and in some holiday lets.
“The launch of this film is fantastic news and I now hope we can spread it across the whole country.
“We have sponsorship from within the industry and the efforts of the students and staff at Netherhall have been fantastic.
“I went to them some months ago to give a talk about carbon monoxide dangers and they went away and came up with this brilliant film.
“It has been a part of their course work and they have done everything themselves – the script, the acting and the production.
“Many of them told me they did not know the dangers but hopefully now they will and so will every other student in the country.
“When young people reach their late teens, it is often the first time they go away from home, be it on holiday or to college. Up to then their parents have taken responsibility for their safety, but now it is up to them.”
The film has been produced by the school along with the Dominic Rodgers Trust and the Kirklees Carbon Monoxide Awareness Group.
Members of the group were at the launch along with Huddersfield MP Barry Sheerman who has championed gas safety at national level.