Around 130 families appealed their child’s school place allocation this year.
And a Scrutiny Panel advised Kirklees Council to look at how it deals with them during the process.
Recent figures show that 97% of Kirklees families received one of their three preferences for the September school intake - the remaining 3% representing around 130 children.
Jo-Anne Sanders, Deputy Assistant Director for Learning and Skills, and Gill Ellis, Learning and Skills Assistant Director, spoke about the current situation at the Overview and Scrutiny Panel for Children and Young People.
She said: “The geography of Kirklees makes it quite a challenge to allocate places where every parents wants.
“If parents are not successful with their three preferences they are entitled to appeal and it will be an independent panel that hears their concerns.
“For Key Stage One we have a 30 place class size limit. Kirklees is not looking to increase that.”
Gill Ellis added: “We do work with parents and support them as much as we can.
“Often we encourage parents to look at the school we’ve allocated because in some cases it’s one they haven’t visited.
“We recognise that some won’t be in education but we do try different ways to support them.”
Classes sizes are limited to 30 children, but the appeal panel can award a child a place and the 30 limit legislation is waived.
Kirklees has seen its starting intake rise from 5,000 to almost 6,000 in ten years - and is now planning for five additional classes borough-wide.
A five-year plan has been formed which looks at predicted birth rate, migration, planning developments and land allocation.
Kirklees is encouraging parents to apply for school places before the closing date, saying late applications cannot be considered at the same time as those submitted on time.
Clr Cahal Burke, chairman of the Scrutiny Panel, said: “It’s good that every child could be offered a place, but was that place in an appropriate location for where the child is living?
“Sometimes there are difficulties, where a parent may be allocated a school place for their child in a nearby postcode, but it’s two bus journeys away.
“The 3% still means there may be children who are not yet in education or are going through the appeal process because they’ve been offered a place that’s totally impractical, and that can be distressing for families.
“There has been a reactionary response to this in the past, rather than a planning response so I’m pleased the focus is on planning.”