ALMOST 300 Christmas shoppers had to be evacuated in a blaze scare at a Huddersfield town centre store.
The fire alarms went off at Marks and Spencer in New Street at 3pm yesterday.
Staff evacuated the store while firefighters went in to tackle the problem and found smoke pouring from a lift room on the roof.
A fire in the lift mechanism had burned itself out.
Station Officer Paul Mace, of Huddersfield fire station, said: "When we opened the lift door the smoke cleared and the power had automatically switched itself off."
The fire is thought to have been caused by an electrical fault.