A neighbour has described his desperate battle to save two young brother who died after a blaze in their bedroom.
The two boys, aged two and three, were trapped in the bedroom at a semi-detached house in Alder Street , Fartown, on Saturday afternoon.
The boys’ mum and six-year-old brother managed to escape but the tots were trapped as the house became engulfed in smoke .
Neighbour Marcin Wojciechowski, who lives opposite, told how he and another man tried to enter the blazing house but were beaten back by smoke and flames .
“We are very sorry for the death of the two young children and are thinking of their family,” said Marcin, who has a wife Katarzyna and three children.
“This was a terrible day for me and my family. My wife is very shaken, especially as we have three children too.
“My wife heard the screams of the woman and then saw her running with her child. She began shouting that her other children were still inside.
“I ran across to try get them out with another man but unfortunately the black smoke did not allow us to enter.
“We attempted again to get in from the garden after breaking the windows but could not get in that way either.
“We managed to get inside to try again but the fire had spread quickly and we could not locate the children so we left the house and the firemen came.”
Katarzyna now hopes that a clothing collection can be started for the family.
“Maybe people living here can do something as a group as the rest of the family won’t have anything left now.”
- Location of sex attack, Heckmondwike0:23
- Scene after crash on Sheffield Road near Holmfirth0:34
- Eorl Crabtree learns how to cheerlead at Dalton S0:38
- Sir Patrick Stewart hosts Logan premiere for Hudd0:39
- Lindley Infant School lollipop patrol campaign1:08
- Jason McCartney questions Jeremy Hunt in House of0:49
- Gung-ho! inflatable fun0:56
Another neighbour, who did not want to be named, said she knew the family.
“It’s such a shock and it really hits you when it’s on your doorstep.
“My little boy used to go to the same nursery as one of those who died.
“They were only a young family. It’s terrible news.”
Fire crews from Dewsbury will visit Alder Street and surrounding homes to promote the use of smoke detectors.
The cause of the fire has been described by police as a “tragic accident.”
Firefighters rescued the boys and they were taken to hospital. They were pronounced dead a short time later.