CONSUMER chiefs have issued a warning after a woman was burned by a henna printing block.

Shops have been asked to remove the Neo Frost kit after it was found to contain phenol, a substance not generally permitted for use in cosmetics.

The warning has come from West Yorkshire Trading Standards Service.

Its staff acted after a Bradford woman complained she felt a burning sensation on her skin when using the kit and was scarred when the henna was removed.

Officers discovered there were no safety warnings on the kit and the dye did not comply with the Cosmetic Products (Safety) Regulations 1996.

Chief trading standards officer Martin Wood said: "The fact that the product contained phenol, had no ingredients list and no instructions for use gives me great cause for concern.

"Anyone who has bought this product should take it back to the shop they bought it from.

"Retailers should remove the product from sale immediately and return the stock to their suppliers."

The kit contains three wooden block stamps and a glass bottle containing a dark brown liquid. The barcode is 80025 75540.

Phenol contained in the liquid is a toxic chemical, which, if ingested, may cause extensive local corrosion, nausea, vomiting, respiratory and circulatory failure and death.