SIX Huddersfield Giants players arrested over rape allegations have had their bail extended again.
The players had been due to answer bail yesterday where charges could have been brought or dropped.
But Northumbria Police have extended the bail of all six men until June 11 while the claims are investigated further.
The six players, who have never been named, were arrested after a complaint was made to police by a 22-year-old woman.
The woman claimed she had been attacked in the early hours of January 19 at Gosforth, Newcastle.
The six men were arrested on suspicion of rape and later bailed.
Members of the Huddersfield Giants squad had been staying at the Gosforth Marriott Hotel in January for pre-season training.
The six Giants players had initially been bailed until March 18, but that was extended until yesterday.
Yesterday police confirmed they were still investigating the alleged incident.
A spokeswoman for Northumbria Police said yesterday: “Their bail has been extended for further investigations.”
The rape allegation had been made on the second day of the Giants’ four-day training camp in the North-East.
At the time the club said it would be launching its own inquiry into the allegations.
The team then cut short their training session, returning to Huddersfield a day ahead of schedule.
The ongoing investigation has cast a massive cloud over the club, which is currently 4th in the Super League table.
They play tomorrow at the Galpharm in the fourth round of the Challenge Cup at home to Hull KR.