IT’S one ingredient you won’t find on the label.
Shopper Basharat Ilyas got a shock when he returned from a shopping trip to Asda, on Bradford Road, Huddersfield, to find a mystery bug trapped in his jar of hot peppers.
He said: “I was disgusted, I felt sick.”
Mr Ilyas, 28, of Arnold Street, Birkby, immediately returned to the store to tell staff about the beetle.
He was told he could have the 98p he paid for the Melis Pickled Hot Peppers back as long as he handed over the jar.
He said: “They told me I couldn’t keep the jar because it might be infected, but that was exactly my point – it shouldn’t have been on the shelves in the first place.
“Someone else might not have seen it. They might have eaten it – it could have been a child.
“But they said they would give me another one to replace it.
“I couldn’t believe it – as if I would take another one after that.
“I told them I wasn’t going to give it back. It was my property and I hadn’t gone back to the shop just to get my 98p.
“They should be warning people about things like this.”
An Asda spokeswoman said the matter needed to be investigated by the supplier.
She added: “We have a different protocol with regards to products that come from suppliers.
“We are not in charge of their quality control procedures.
“If it was an Asda brand product we would look into it ourselves. Because it was not, we need to send the product back to the manufacturer so that they can investigate.
“Because the customer did not give the jar in, we were unable to do so.”
Robert Tisdall, sales director for Gama Mediterranean Foods, which imports the product from Turkey, apologised for the matter.
He added: “We are quite shocked to discover that one of the products has failed to meet our normal standards.
“We will instigate an investigation with Melis to find out what has gone wrong.
“We import 70 tonnes of this product every year and I am not aware of this every happening before.”