A HUDDERSFIELD woman who has had two chip pan fires at her home has urged other people to throw their chip pans away.
The plea from 56-year-old Anne Durrands came after firefighters were called to deal with blazes at her home on Royds Avenue in New Mill twice within 18 months.
Holmfirth crews have now given Anne a deep fat fryer - on condition she handed over her old chip pan which they have binned.
The first fire broke at Mrs Durrands's home one teatime when she turned her chip pan on and then became distracted.
When she returned to the kitchen, flames were leaping from the pan.
Holmfirth firefighters tackled the blaze and then carried out a home risk assessment for her which included fitting smoke detectors.
The second time Mrs Durrands's cooker overheated and set the chip pan on top on fire.
Richard Hagger, leading community fire safety officer for West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: "This is a one-off case at the moment. We hope the gesture will make people think about their own safety when it comes to chip pan fires.
"On this occasion Morphy Richards kindly donated a deep fat fryer."
In 2003-2004 there were 288 chip pan fires in West Yorkshire. Fifty of these were in Kirklees.
"I know this is a one-off situation when they have been able to provide me with a deep fat fryer. I'm very grateful."