FIREFIGHTERS had to wait for a shopkeeper to open up before they could tackle problems caused by an electrical fault.
Two fire engines from Huddersfield were dispatched when the occupant of the flat above the food store at Blacker Road in Birkby raised the alarm at 8.10am on Saturday.
A fire had started between the ceiling of the shop and the floor of the flat.
But it was 20 minutes before the owner arrived to unlock the shutters.
Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus put the fire out.
A crew stayed until 11.30am to deal with the aftermath of the incident.