A STUDENT accommodation block in Huddersfield had to be evacuated after a kitchen fire.
Firefighters from Huddersfield and Slaithwaite went to the Snow Island student halls on King's Mill Lane at 12.05am yesterday.
Students living in the block had all been evacuated by the time fire crews arrived.
Firefighters used extinguishers to stop the fire and a large fan to blow smoke from the building.
They discovered that the blaze started in a kitchen area, where a plastic toaster had been left on a hot cooker ring.
The kitchen area -which was badly damaged - is one of many at Snow Island. Each serves five bedrooms.
Firefighters said fire doors fitted to the kitchens prevented the fire spreading and all students were able to go back to their rooms.