A FIERCE blaze gutted a flat in a Huddersfield high-rise block.
An electrical fault is thought to have sparked the blaze in the flat on the fifth floor of Holme Park Court, Berry Brow, at 9.30pm last night.
Fire crews from Slaithwaite, Holmfirth and Meltham, along with the hydraulic platform from Huddersfield, tackled the inferno.
A fire service spokes- man said: "We were not sure if anyone was in the flat, so six firefighters wearing breathing apparatus were sent in to search. Luckily, the occupier was out."
The heat caused water pipes to burst and electrical meters in flats on the floors directly below the burning flat were damaged by water cascading down.
The man who lives in the flat has been re-housed.