A FIRE has closed a Huddersfield bank and a health club.
The blaze was spotted at midnight, when Group 4 security officers at the Abbey National Bank in King Street saw smoke in the Reviva Health Club, which occupies the two floors above the bank.
They raised the alarm and five fire crews - from Huddersfield, Elland and Slaithwaite - spent four-and-a-half hours fighting the fire, which they believe was started by an electrical fault at Reviva.
The second floor was badly damaged and the third floor suffered smoke damage. Today, a note from the Reviva business manager on the club's door said it would be closed until further notice.
Firefighters at first thought they could reach Reviva via the bank and smashed glass security doors.
But the bank has no access to Reviva and staff this morning had to close the branch. The ceiling in the customer service area suffered water damage from the fire hoses.
Mandy Benn, branch manager of Abbey National, said: "I was here last night. It was ablaze and it was really badly damaged in Reviva. We are affected by water damage and glass everywhere.
"But our cash machines are working and we will be open again fairly soon," she added.