A YOUNG boy has died in his bed of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.
Ten-year-old Dominic Rodgers was tragically found by his mother Stacey at their Fartown home - the latest victim of a silent killer.
Now an urgent investigation is under way by police and by safety authorities.
Officials from the Health and Safety Executive have joined with Transco, the gas supply company, and police to probe Dominic's death.
It is believed gas appliances from adjoining houses have been taken away for examination.
But his grieving family are anxious that no-one else should go through a similar torment, and made an emotional plea today.
Jason Rodgers, Dominic's uncle, said: "Few people bother to check if carbon monoxide is getting into their homes, yet detectors are so cheap.
"We would not want any other families to go through the torment that Stacey and the rest of the family are now going through."
Dominic lived with his mother in the rented house in Spaines Road, Fartown, and was a pupil at Christ Church Woodhouse Junior, Infant and Nursery School in Deighton.
He was also a keen young footballer and played for Space Under 11s in Huddersfield.
He was found dead last Thursday morning, but details were revealed only today.
Mr Rodgers said: "Stacey and Dominic have lived at the house for eight months and were really close. Stacey doted on Dominic and is obviously devastated at what has happened.
"There was no indication that anything was wrong in the house."
Dominic had gone to bed last Wednesday evening having watched TV but his mother was unable to wake him the following morning.
Miss Rodgers slept in a second bedroom and was not believed to have been affected by carbon monoxide.
But checks by safety experts found high levels in adjoining houses.
A police spokesman said: "We are investigating the death in conjunction with the Health and Safety Executive and Transco.
"An inquest is expected to open shortly."
The Health and Safety Executive confirmed an inquiry was under way. Officers involved in the case were meeting today.
Dominic's funeral will take place on Tuesday, February 24, at 2pm at Christ Church Woodhouse.
Safety experts claim carbon monoxide is probably the worst substance most people will come into contact with in daily life.
It causes hundreds of deaths each year as it has no taste, no smell and cannot be seen.
Carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete combustion of the fossil fuels – gas, oil, coal and wood used in boilers, engines, oil burners, gas fires, water heaters, solid fuel appliances and open fires.
Dangerous amounts of CO can accumulate when as a result of poor installation, poor maintenance or failure or damage to an appliance in service, the fuel is not burned properly, or when rooms are poorly ventilated.