SAFETY experts have urged people to carry out home checks after the tragic death of a Huddersfield youngster.
The death of 10-year-old Dominic Rodgers at his home in Fartown is believed to have been caused by carbon monoxide poisoning.
An inquest will open in Huddersfield tomorrow.
Dominic died in a house in Spaines Road he shared with his mother Stacey.
Experts from the Health and Safety Executive are now conducting an investigation into his death.
According to the Department of Trade, more than 50 home deaths result every year from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by faulty heating appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be given off by appliances that burn fossil fuels such as gas, coal, wood or oil.
The fumes can be deadly if the appliances are not working properly, if the flue is blocked in any way, or if the room is not properly ventilated.
A spokesman for the Department of Trade said: "Most cases of carbon monoxide poisoning are due to inadequate ventilation or poor maintenance of appliances, blocked or leaky flues and chimneys.
"Chimneys can become blocked for various reasons. It could be as a result of birds nesting on the chimney, or possible degradation of the flue.
"A blocked flue can lead to carbon monoxide leaking into your home.
"Some people mistakenly think that it is only gas-fuelled heating systems which can cause carbon monoxide poisoning - in fact, it can happen with any fossil fuel system if the system, which includes both the appliance and the flue, is faulty or the room is not properly ventilated."
He added: "Some people associate carbon monoxide poisoning with rented accommodation - in fact, more people are killed in owner-occupied rather than rented properties."
The department's safety advice includes:
* Have your boiler or heating system serviced regularly by qualified engineers.
* Make sure any chimney in use has had been swept in the last year.
* Check that gas flames that normally burn blue are not burning orange or yellow.
* Look out for sooty stains on or just above appliances.
* Make sure rooms are properly ventilated.
* Be aware if you develop unexplained symptoms - tiredness, drowsiness, headaches, dizziness, chest pains or nausea.