AN 11-year-old girl carried her baby sister to safety after a fire at their home.
A lamp resting against bedclothes set bedding alight in the 15-month-old baby's room at the house on Woodleigh Grove, Beaumont Park, at 6.20am today.
The baby began to cough, which woke her older sister - and the parents almost immediately after.
The 11-year-old rushed in, grabbed the baby and took her to safety.
The family left the house, along with two guests who were staying.
The fire was confined to the bedding.
Crew Manager Tony Rostron, from Huddersfield fire station, said: "It was a lucky escape, especially as the smoke detectors were not working.
"The 11-year-old reacted very quickly."
Both children were taken to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary for a precautionary check-up after breathing in smoke.