Login Register

Brewery's past revealed

A PIECE of Huddersfield beer-making history has returned to the town.

A PIECE of Huddersfield beer-making history has returned to the town.

Ken Battye (Spiveys brewery poster, King Street) 240

The Ale and Porter Brewery, which occupied the site of the former Globe pub in King Street, produced beers until 1895.

Newsome collector Ken Battye has just bought one of several posters from the brewery.

It has the words Abraham Spivey, Globe Brewery, Wine and Spirit Merchant, Ale and Porter Brewer.

Old lettering above The Globe, which reads R S Tolson and Co, Ale and Porter Brewers, has also been uncovered as part of a £4m revamp.

The Kirklees Henry Boot Partnership is restoring buildings in three historic yards, on the opposite side of King Street to the new Kingsgate Shopping Centre. It is thought that buildings in this area of the town centre date from the early 1800s.

Mr Battye's poster is one of 25 sold to Huddersfield people at an antique fair at Slaithwaite Leisure Centre.

Mr Battye, who collects brewing memorabilia, paid £15 for his poster - but said some were later sold for £25 or more.

The brewers, which was at 45 to 49 King Street and supplied pubs across the town. The original lettering of R S Tolson & Co, Ale and Porter Brewers, was painted on to the stone.

It is thought it refers to the Tolson family of Moldgreen and Dalton, whose house is now the Tolson museum.

Local historians hope the lettering may be enhanced and preserved as part of the yard's development.


Doug Thomson
Huddersfield Town correspondent
Chris Roberts
Huddersfield Giants correspondent
Louise Cooper
Crime correspondent
Nick Lavigueur
Health Correspondent
Joanne Douglas
Local Government Correspondent
Linda Whitwam
Education Correspondent
Henryk Zientek
Business Correspondent
Martin Shaw
Mirfield Correspondent