BRIGHT sparks stay safe on Bonfire Night.
That's the message from West Yorkshire's ambulance crews hoping for a quiet evening next Wednesday, November 5.
People across Kirklees are being urged to follow the Firework Code if having a display at home.
"Fireworks and bonfires can cause devastating injuries if the proper safety precautions are not followed," said Bob Williams, West Yorkshire Ambulance Service's director of patient services.
"If handled badly they can become lethal."
Also, the Government's Environment Agency is warning bonfire builders not to burn toxic materials.
Officials say Bonfire Night should not be seen as an excuse to clear out sheds and garages of items such as paints, plastics, tyres and foam.
Such substances can produce poisonous smoke.
To enjoy the night, burn only clean materials such as dry untreated wood.
The Firework Code says:
* Keep them in a closed box
* Always supervise children with sparklers and never give them to under-fives
* Follow the instructions on each firework using a torch or handlamp - never a naked flame
* Light all fireworks at arms length
* Never go back to a lit firework
* Keep pets indoors.
If an accident does happen:
* Use cold water to cool a burned area
* Do not remove burned clothing from the skin
* Seek urgent medical help.