THEY'RE setting their sights on the record books in Marsden.
News that British Waterways plan to re-open the Standedge Visitor Centre will be greeted by special events.
Two ambitious feats of boatsmanship are set to take place in Standedge Tunnel during May.
The first event - on May 7 - will see a team of 12 men from the Horseboating Society `leg' through the tunnel from Diggle to Marsden.
This involves the men pushing on the narrow walls with their legs to steer a boat through the three-mile tunnel.
The 12 men will pair up and each pair will take a turn at `legging' in a relay-style system.
The technique had to be used because Standedge Tunnel had no towpath for horses to draw the boats along.
It could take up to four hours to get the boat through the tunnel - though today with electric tugs progress is much quicker.
On May 14, an even greater feat will be attempted by Horseboat Society member Nigel Dix.
Mr Dix will try to `leg' the tunnel from Marsden to Diggle on his own.
A man named David Whitehead famously claimed to have legged the tunnel solo in an hour and 25 minutes in 1914.
Both Mr Dix and the 12-strong team will tackle the tunnel in an 1854 boat called Maria, drawn by horses Bonny and Queenie.
This boat is thought to have carried limestone up and down the Colne Valley until 1900.
In the old days, a boat's horses would have to be walked over the hill to the other end while the craft was being legged through the tunnel.
Sue Day, of the Horseboating Society, said: "We have been working towards legging such a long tunnel for some time and are really looking forward to the event.
"The last time the tunnel was legged was about 1947 by one of our members, Ronnie Barnes, who is now 87.
"He hopes to be on board on May 7 to watch us. It's a good opportunity for people to come and relive some of our industrial past."
On both May 7 and 14 there will be entertainment at the Standedge Visitor Centre, including harness making, ropework, family games and talks from guides dressed in traditional costumes.
The Visitor Centre shut down last year because of low visitor numbers.
But officials hope tourists will flock there after a refit.