Three cats have died of suspected poisoning in Golcar.
And there are fears other cats could also have suffered in the past two days.
It is thought that antifreeze may have killed the cats. They often lick it from the road when it is spilled.
Vets tried to save two of the pets but the animals had to be put to sleep.
Warnings about the poisoning have appeared on a community Facebook page.
Two of the cats were owned by Lindsay Diamond. One of her cats died as she tried to get it to a vet while the second had to be put to sleep.
The third cat was Daisy, a pet owned by Craig Lloyd, who lives in Moorcroft Avenue.
He said: “We have had her for just three years and she was much-loved.
“We got home on Tuesday evening to find her at home in a bad way.
“I thought a first she had been knocked down but it soon became obvious she was very ill and we took her to the vet.
“He thought immediately it was poisoning and sadly she went into a coma and had to be put to sleep.
“It does seem as though it could be antifreeze poisoning and I and other want to warn all pet-owners in the area about the risks of using antifreeze.
“It if is that and people are using it in their cars, they should be aware of the risk to cats”.
An RSPCA spokesman said: “Accidental poisonings from spills/leaks, as well as leaking water coolant from cars happen every year, leading to pet death.
“We would ask drivers to regularly check their car to ensure it isn’t leaking water coolant. Take care storing, using and disposing of antifreeze and water coolant. Most accidental deaths are avoidable.
“Signs of antifreeze poisoning can show 30 minutes after ingestion. It can be two/three days before signs of kidney failure are seen. The sooner your pet receives veterinary treatment, the better their chances of survival. If left untreated, antifreeze poisoning can cause pain, suffering and distress and ultimately death”.