A BIG safety campaign launched after the tragic fumes death of a Huddersfield boy is gaining momentum.
British Gas has endorsed Huddersfield MP Barry Sheerman's call for more homes to be fitted with carbon monoxide detectors.
Its top officials have moved swiftly to arrange a meeting with the MP.
Mr Sheerman backed a plea for action from Stacey Rodgers, the grieving mother of 10-year-old Dominic Rodgers, who died of deadly carbon monoxide poisoning in his Fartown home when fumes seeped from a gas boiler.
Miss Rodgers said she did not want her son's death to be in vain and call- ed for more use of safety detectors.
Mr Sheerman has pledged to raise the matter with Government ministers and also called on the gas industry to help.
Chris Bielby, head of quality and standards at British Gas, said: "I am keen to meet Mr Sheerman to discuss the matter.
"We fit detectors for free whenever we install a gas fire or boiler for one of our customers.
"As a company we have also spent millions of pounds on increasing people's awareness of both the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and the simple steps they can take to avoid it.
"It is a message we repeat whenever we visit one of three million customers who have a central heating maintenance contract with us.
"Detectors are usually placed near to a gas appliance whereas in this tragic case the fumes appear to have seeped into the room from a neighbouring house."
But Mr Bielby questioned whether it should fall to gas suppliers to provide the detectors free of charge.
"We certainly recognise our obligation to continue increasing awareness of the potential dangers of carbon monoxide and to making detectors available and affordable for householders so that people can protect themselves.
"But I don't believe it is as simple as expecting gas suppliers to make detectors available to every home in the country free of charge.
"Carbon monoxide can also be produced by oil, coal or wood-burning appliances and it is also rather like expecting electrical retailers and tobacconists to pay for smoke alarms in every home," he said.
British Gas also offers safety advice to people worried about carbon monoxide.
They urged householders to look out for tell-tale signs.
Carbon monoxide is a gas that can be produced by household appliances that have not been properly installed or maintained. It cannot be seen, tasted or smelled - but it is highly poisonous and deadly.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
* Recurring headaches
* Nausea, sickness or stomach pains
* General tiredness and fatigue
The British Gas website has more information at www.house.co.uk/safety