A COUPLE had to be roused from sleep after a candle set off a smoke alarm - in their bedroom.
They had lit the candle on a plate in the bedroom of their first- floor flat on Ouzelwell Road in Thornhill Lees on Sunday night.
But at 12.10am yesterday a neighbour heard the alarm go off and alerted fire crews.
Firefighter Robert Butters, of Dewsbury fire station, said: "We banged on the door several times, but got no reply.
"We were about to break in using a door ram, but all the noise must have woken them up and they opened it.
"The bedroom and the rest of the flat was filled with smoke, which seemed to have come just from the candle as it burned down.
"I've never seen a candle give off as much smoke as that," he added.