THEY struck up a friendship as penpals during the war and became a couple on the buses!
But romance soon blossomed and Dalton couple James and Renee Aindow are now celebrating their diamond wedding.
The couple were married at Moldgreen Church on March 27,1948, and had their honeymoon in Blackpool.
They met through Mrs Aindow’s brother, who served with Mr Aindow in the Army with the Royal Artillery during the Second World War.
While they were stationed in Cairo the men were asked to write to women serving in the Auxiliary Territorial Service – the women’s branch of the British Army – back in England and Mrs Aindow’s brother suggested that Mr Aindow write to her.
When he returned to the country after the war he was introduced to her and they were soon married.
After the war, Mr Aindow worked for Huddersfield Corporation as a trolleybus conductor and later as a driver.
Mrs Aindow worked in various mills in Lockwood as a weaver before joining the same company as her husband where she conducted on the buses he drove for 13 years!
Mr Aindow is originally from Coventry. After they were married they lived in Crosland Moor and later moved to Oaklands Drive in Dalton which is where they still live.
The couple celebrated their special anniversary with a party with family and friends at the Pennine Manor Hotel, Scapegoat Hill.