THE grieving parents of a teenager murdered in Marsden will have to wait until next year to see the men accused of his death stand trial.
The news came after the trial in the case was again postponed.
Anthony Driver, 36, and Luke Elliott, 21, were due to stand trial this week for the murder of Scottish 19-year-old Craig Hepburn.
But the case was delayed on Monday due to late evidence being served and again yesterday because of restrictions in the court timetable due to Christmas.
Mr Hepburn was stabbed in Marsden in the early hours of July 7. He had been visiting his uncle in the village before the tragedy unfolded.
Judge Peter Collier QC sitting at Leeds Crown Court said yesterday it was ‘regrettable’ that the case could not go ahead as planned.
He told the court before announcing the adjournment: “This is desperately unfortunate.
“The deceased’s family I am sure, if they are not here in court today, will be travelling down here with the reasonable expectation this case would be heard before Christmas.”
He said he had consulted with the senior presiding judge for the Leeds circuit before making his judgement.
“Regrettable as it is, I am going to have to adjourn this trial.”
He told counsel the delay could have been avoided.
Judge Collier suggested a three-week trial on March 11, but defence counsel for one defendant could not accommodate this date, so no date has been set.
Driver, of Grange Cottages, Marsden, and Elliott of Main Avenue, Cowlersley, were remanded in custody.