A BEREAVED daughter whose mum died in a house fire earlier this year is urging families to check their smoke alarms.
About 40m people in England and Wales live in homes fitted with the potentially life-saving devices.
Sadly, firefighters tackling fatal blazes are increasingly finding that missing or flat batteries in the detectors have cost the householders their lives.
Anne-Marie Arthur's mother, Carol, was killed in a chip pan blaze after taking the batteries out of her own smoke alarm.
The 50-year-old was found dead at her Westgate home in Elland last February by her daughter.
The pan had burned out, leaving the house full of smoke.
Mrs Arthur had fallen asleep on her couch and would have been unaware of the danger.
A battery costing just a few pence would have saved her life.
It is thought the alarm had started beeping as a warning that power was running low and Mrs Arthur took out the battery to stop the annoyance.
Her heart-broken 23-year- old daughter said: "I check people's smoke alarms all the time when I visit their houses. I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone else. I really would urge people to make sure their smoke alarms work.
"At the funeral, we asked for money to be donated to buy smoke alarms for people in Elland who are less well-off or vulnerable," said Anne-Marie.
"Mum shouldn't have died that day, but thanks to the money we raised at her funeral, we might be able to help save someone else's life."
Seventy-five ten-year alarms were bought with the proceeds.
From this month, West Yorkshire Fire Service are launching a Push the Button - Not Your Luck campaign which will urge people to check their alarms and not to take out the battery for other uses.