A MAN who had been exposed to asbestos all his working life died from an industrial disease, an inquest heard in Huddersfield yesterday.
Edgar Godfrey Calverley died at his home in Wakefield Road, Dalton, in August last year.
Kirklees coroner Roger Whittaker said Mr Calverley, who was 88, had been exposed to asbestos during his work as a boiler stoker while serving with the Royal Navy, and also during his employment with the former Central Electricity Generating Board, at a power station formerly in St Andrew's Road, Huddersfield where he worked between 1945 and 1980.
The inquest heard that in June 2003 Mr Calverley was diagnosed with mesothelioma, a malignant tumour caused in the majority of cases by inhaling asbestos fibres.
A post mortem confirmed his death was due to malignant pleural mesothelioma.