A WOMAN’S life was saved by her smoke detector – even though she didn’t hear it!
The 39-year-old was asleep on the sofa at her Huddersfield home when a jacket close to a gas fire caught fire.
The smoke triggered the smoke detector at her house at St Andrew’s Road, near its junction with Leeds Road, at 12.20am today.
Although the woman slept through the piercing shrill, it alerted her neighbours who rushed round.
They opened the door, but were beaten back by the smoke.
Watch manager Andy Blackburn of Huddersfield fire station said: “The neighbours kept our control informed about what they were trying to do and a message was passed to us en route that someone was definitely in the house.
“As soon as we got there two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went straight in and brought her out.’’
The woman was given oxygen at the scene by paramedics and was then taken to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary for a check up.
She had suffered from the effects of breathing in smoke.
The fire had spread from the jacket to the carpet, filling the downstairs with thick smoke.
Watch Manager Blackburn added: “The detector could well have saved her life by alerting her neighbours. Without the detector going off, the fire could have taken a firm hold.’’