A DOG overcome by smoke was rescued from a house fire.
A woman had called at the house in Westgate, Almondbury, to take the West Highland terrier for a walk at 1.25pm yesterday.
But when she opened the back door, smoke billowed out.
She shut the door and called firefighters.
They went in, wearing breathing apparatus, found the collapsed pet and carried it outside.
The dog, called Bess, was revived with oxygen and taken to a vet for a check-up.
Station Officer Dave Rawnsley, of Huddersfield fire station, said: "The fire was confined to a kitchen chair and table.
"The internal doors were shut, which confined the fire and smoke damage to the kitchen.
"If the door had been open, the fire would have been fuelled by oxygen and we would have been dealing with a more serious incident."
He added: "It was lucky the neighbour went round to walk the dog when she did."
The cause of the fire is not suspicious.