Login Register

Driver Raja Arman Khan led police on a 120mph 25-mile chase

Dewsbury man jailed over "astoundingly irresponsible piece of bad driving"

Jailed driver Raja Arman Khan, of Thornhill Lees, led police on a high-speed chase through Dewsbury town centre towards Mirfield.

A motorist from Dewsbury hit speeds of up to 120mph on the M1 as he led officers on a 25-mile pursuit.

A judge condemned the “astoundingly irresponsible” driving and said it was lucky no-one was killed.

Leeds Crown Court heard that officers first signalled to Raja Arman Khan to stop on the outskirts of Sheffield in the early hours of May 6 when they decided to check the Volvo he was driving because it was registered in Essex.

But he accelerated away from them in Halifax Road, Sheffield, and onto Penistone Road reaching up to 85mph in the 50mph restrictions, said Anthony Moore, prosecuting. It later emerged he had no insurance.

Khan joined the M1 at junction 37 and reached more than 120mph as he drove North, his pursuit eventually being filmed from above by a police helicopter.

Mr Moore said Khan left the motorway at junction 40 heading towards Dewsbury on the A638 doing 95mph in the 50mph limit and at one stage driving on the wrong side of a keep left bollard.

He went through a red light in Railway Street, Dewsbury, at 45mph and then through a second red light at the junction with Mill Street West before driving on Huddersfield Road out of Dewsbury towards Mirfield but then turned on to an industrial area where he stopped and was arrested.

Leeds Crown Court
Leeds Crown Court

The court heard Khan had told a probation officer he was driving back from visiting a woman in Sheffield and had panicked when he saw the police because he knew he had no insurance.

Shufqat Khan, representing the defendant, said he expressed genuine remorse for his actions.

He was working then as a doorman at premises in Sheffield. He had met a woman there and a relationship developed. That night he was not working but had driven to Sheffield to visit her.

He had been engaged to be married for four years to someone else and their wedding was planned for August and in addition to his panic over insurance if stopped by the police was the thought he would have to explain what he had been doing.

He realised he had made a big mistake and the risk he had taken that night. Fortunately he had been forgiven and the wedding had taken place in August. He was also now working for Classic Beds in Dewsbury and had reference letters supporting him.

Mr Khan added: “He knows it was more by luck that there wasn’t any accident or anything of that sort.”

Khan, 21, of Parker Road, Thornhill Lees, admitted dangerous driving and having no insurance and was jailed for six months with two years disqualification.

Judge Guy Kearl QC said he accepted the events were completely out of character but the pursuit had lasted over 25 miles. “This was an astoundingly irresponsible piece of bad driving, dangerous driving in which many peoples’ lives, including your own, were put at risk.

“It was simply luck not good judgment that nobody was injured or lives lost, driving at 120mph even on the motorway at 4am is just beyond the bounds of irresponsibility.”


Doug Thomson
Huddersfield Town correspondent
Chris Roberts
Huddersfield Giants correspondent
Louise Cooper
Crime correspondent
Nick Lavigueur
Health Correspondent
Joanne Douglas
Local Government Correspondent
Linda Whitwam
Education Correspondent
Henryk Zientek
Business Correspondent
Martin Shaw
Mirfield Correspondent