A woman has warned of the dangers after her E-cigarette charger exploded and burst into flames.

Michele Hirst, of Marsden, was luckily on hand to help douse the flames and unplug the charger from a socket.

But she warned: “What could have happened if I had left it on overnight?”

A worktop and kitchen fittings at her Marsden home were left scorched and burned by the incident on Tuesday evening.

It is the latest incident involving the chargers, after a series of incidents across the UK.

Fire chiefs have warned about the dangers posed by E-cigarettes, after previous incidents including other explosions and fires.

While the dangers of lit cigarettes are well known, fire bosses are now warning that the battery powered electronic versions have also caused blazes and claimed at least one life.

Firefighters in Kirklees were involved in one incident, after an e-cigarette exploded while it was being re-charged.

The mess left in Michele Hirst's kitchen after her E-cigarette charger exploded
The mess left in Michele Hirst's kitchen after her E-cigarette charger exploded
 

Sean Fearon, fire investigation officer for West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, said that the owner of the E-cigarette in the incident, in Batley, had in fact followed the instructions.

No one was injured but red hot flying fragments left scorch marks on walls, floors and a sofa.

E-cigarettes convert liquid nicotine into a mist, or vapour, that the user inhales.

The two main types have either a replaceable cartridge or require refillable liquid, but there are many different brands, all with their own specific charger.

Michele, 50, said: “I plugged in the charger as I was about to have my evening meal and was in the other room when there was a tremendous bang.

“I rushed in and saw the fire, but managed to grab the charger from the socket and the flames went out quickly.

“It was a proper machine and not a cheap one off the internet and I just wonder what could have happened had I not been there or been in bed.

“I have been trying the E-cigarettes for about 12 months, but I’m going to go back to proper cigarettes.”

Click here to take you back to more Huddersfield news .

Want to read, watch and hear more? You can download the FREE Examiner Apple App  here , the FREE Examiner Android App  here  or you can view the paper as an e-edition on your Apple, Android or Kindle device by clicking  here

To follow us on Twitter click here