A WOMAN told an inquest that her 83-year-old mother died as a "direct consequence of neglect" by two hospitals.
Iris Walker, of Saville Court, Dewsbury, died when a tube put in her neck for dialysis became infected.
In a statement read out by deputy coroner Mark Hinchcliffe, Rita Pickering told the inquest: "Mother never got dialysis. The dressing on her neck was never changed. I feel that because her dressing was not changed they could not see the infection.
"I feel that she died as a direct consequence of neglect at Dewsbury and Leeds."
But Dr Richard Baker, a consultant at St James's Hospital, Leeds, told the family that it was an assumption that changing the dressing would have made a difference.
"It is not routine for it to be removed every few days," said Dr Baker.
"I think the problem is that a lot people are discharged from hospital with dressings and we do not go around checking dressings because it is pretty unusual for this sort of thing to happen."
He added: "The fact that the dressing was not changed is neither here nor there."
The inquest was told that Mrs Walker was admitted to St James's in November last year to have dialysis because of her diabetes.
A line was put into her neck and she was due to have the procedure the next day.
The inquest heard that her condition then improved sufficiently that it was felt that dialysis could be delayed.
Mrs Walker was sent home, with the same dressing on, only to become ill a few days later. She was then admitted to Dewsbury and District Hospital.
Consultant pathologist Dr Beverley Cadman told the inquest that she died a few days later of septicaemia.
Mrs Walker's other daughter, Maureen Astley, said: "If we had been advised that the dressing would not have been changed we could have checked and found out sooner and the toxins would not have built up.
"But nobody took the trouble to tell us what to do."
Recording a verdict of death by misadventure, Mr Hinchcliffe said: "The family would have appreciated being made aware of the risk of infection."