FARTOWN rugby league ground was, for many years, a top arena for the sport.
The venue, off Spaines Road, was graced by legends of the league throughout its century- long history.
It even hosted a Test match between Great Britain and Australia in 1937.
But latterly, the venue fell into a sorry state of repair.
The Fartown base was the home ground of the Huddersfield RL side as it won the Challenge Cup in 1933, 1945 and 1953 and when they were League Champions in 1949 and 1962.
The ground saw a crowd of 35,136 for a Challenge Cup semi-final game in April 1947 and 32,912 for the League match between Huddersfield and Wigan in March 1950.
Huddersfield's successes began as long ago as 1910 when they scooped the Yorkshire Challenge Cup.
The team beat all-comers and the players were living sporting legends of their day.
Their fortunes were helped by many superb players, including the Prince of Centres Harold Wagstaff, who hailed from Underbank, and Australian Albert Rosenfeld, classed by many as the greatest winger of all time.
The Huddersfield Northern Union (Rugby League) Club of 1914-15, of which they were a part, became known as the "Team of All Talents".
They dominated the game for two years around the outbreak of the First World War and are still acclaimed as one of the greatest sides to play the sport.
Winning the treble of the League Championship, the Challenge Cup and the Yorkshire League Cup in 1914, they featured world-class players from around the British Empire.
Rosenfeld (fondly known as Rozzy) scored 80 tries in that season.
Yet the Fartown squad surpassed even that incredible achievement the following year, adding the Yorkshire Cup to their trophy tally.
The austerity years of 1948-1950 were another great period in Huddersfield's history.
Clashing with Warrington in the 1949 championship play-off at Manchester City's Maine Road ground, Huddersfield ended up victors in front of a then world record crowd for a rugby league match of 75,194.
Then four years later came their memorable 15-10 triumph over St Helens in the 1953 Wembley Challenge Cup final.
It was a team captained by the legendary Russell Pepperell and its other high-calibre players included Lionel Cooper and Johnny Hunter.
Sadly, the team were never able to repeat those glittering successes.
Indeed, one of the highlights of the 1960s was when Fartown's popular Supporters Social Club opened behind the posts.
Eventually, in the 1980s, the team entered a very difficult spell. Even a name change to The Barracudas in 1984 could not halt the malaise.
As the team suffered, so did the fabric of the ground. But work saw a new, revamped club and ground ready for the 1990s.
In 1992, Huddersfield played its final game at the ground, a 36-12 Yorkshire Cup win over York, then left Spaines Road to travel the short distance to Leeds Road, home of Huddersfield Town, before joining them at the McAlpine Stadium.
* 1878: First match at the ground between Huddersfield and Manchester Rangers.
* 1882: FA Cup semi-final between Blackburn and Sheffield Wednesday.
* 1890: £8,600 improvement programme launched.
* 1915: Opening of main stand, designed by Huddersfield architect Joseph Berry.
* 1937: Test match between Great Britain and Australia.
* 1947: Record crowd of 35,136 for Leeds-Wakefield Challenge Cup semi-final.
* 1951: Upgrading work on North Terrace.
* 1965: Supporters' social club opened behind posts.
* 1967: Floodlights switched on for League game against Hull, who win 21-13.
* 1984: Stadium renamed Arena 84 with suffix Barracudas added to team title.
* 1989: New consortium rename ground Fartown.
* 1992: Huddersfield play final game, 36-12 Yorkshire Cup win over York...TEXT: